SNAICC Privacy Statement
The Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care Inc. (SNAICC) is committed to protecting the privacy of its member organisations, National Executive Committee members, staff and supporters. SNAICC endorses the recent legislative initiatives concerning the collection, use, security and disclosure of personal information.
SNAICC collects information from our members, subscribers and other organisations to maintain accurate membership and subscription records and in the course of SNAICC’s business. Some of this is personal information.
SNAICC makes the following undertakings:
- To take reasonable steps to make individuals aware that SNAICC is collecting personal information about them.
- The purposes for which SNAICC is collecting the information, and who SNAICC may pass the information on to.
- To obtain the permission of the subject or in the case of a child, a person with the legal responsibility for their welfare to use their image for illustrations in SNAICC publications and other resources including the SNAICC website.
- To provide individuals with access to whatever personal information SNAICC might hold about them and to have the information corrected or annotated if the information is incorrect, out-of-date or incomplete.
- To take all reasonable steps to ensure and protect confidentiality and security in the handling and storage of personal information.
- To seek the approval of the individual(s) concerned before any disclosure of personal information to a third party, unless specifically exempted by legislation, or where the individual(s) is previously made aware the information will be disclosed to a third party.
- To have in place a process for dealing with privacy complaints should any individual believe that information about them is not being properly handled by SNAICC. The process will seek to address complaints quickly and effectively and offer recourse to an independent adjudicator should a complainant not be satisfied by SNAICC’s internal complaint handling procedures.
Collection of personal information for publication distribution purposes
- Information is collected and used by SNAICC and our distribution agent to fulfill requests by the public for SNAICC publications and resources. SNAICC also uses this information, and the additional information requested, for evaluation and quality management purposes.
- No sale of personal information
- SNAICC will never sell or receive payment for disclosing your personal information.
Concerns About Your Privacy
SNAICC Evaluation and Quality Management Processes
To ensure we are creating and distributing the best publications and resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations, SNAICC is collecting information from those who order, are sent, or use its resources and publications for evaluation and quality management purposes. This information is requested from you voluntarily.
As part of our evaluation processes, SNAICC prepares reports to the Australian Government Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, and to our external evaluator, a private contractor. All data used for evaluation and reporting purposed will be anonymous, with no identifying characteristics (such as names) provided to any Government department or other entity.
We treat this information with the strictest confidentiality. Unless an organisation or person participating in the evaluation process has given expressly given their permission for them to be identified and their perspectives to be attributed to them, all data used for evaluation and quality management purposes will be anonymous, with identifying characteristics removed.
While SNAICC’s distribution agent has made a contractual assurance to SNAICC that it will respect the privacy and confidentiality of all the information collected for our purposes and will not provide this information to anyone else, SNAICC cannot make guarantees on behalf of our agent, and is not liable for any failure by our agent to fulfill its responsibilities on this matter.