- 2 Workshops, 1 day complete package
- Community centred workshops that provides practical tools and focuses on holistic transition programs to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families
- For everyone involved in supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families on their Journey to Big School
- Cost on enquiry
Beginning school is a key transition phase within early childhood. Children and families first experiences with school have significant implications for educational and broader developmental outcomes. This is accentuated for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, who experience higher vulnerability and exclusion in early childhood.
The Journey to Big School, is a community model, working with primary schools, early childhood services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to support children’s school readiness and their effective transition to formal schooling. This project redresses the causes behind poor child readiness as a strategy to see Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children attend and engage successfully with formal schooling at the point of entry, setting a course for continued engagement and positive educational outcomes.
The program will provide much more than a traditional training through which specific skills and knowledge are transferred. It will additionally facilitate the development of local networks, relationships, leadership, and transition support plans, while imparting knowledge of evidence-based good practice approaches. SNAICC will work alongside a community partner that is supported to take ownership and drive a sustainable local approach.
This workshop is designed for:
- Early childhood educators
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Educators
- Community Members
- Families, parents and carers
- Child Care providers and workers
- Primary School teachers
- Language support workers and teachers
- Transition workers
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Educational Support Workers
- Student welfare officers
- Speech therapists and related early childhood professionals
* No prerequisites needed