- This event has passed.
The Journey to Big School
November 24, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm$220
Working with primary schools, early childhood services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to support children’s school readiness and their effective transition to formal schooling.
Key topics of discussion will be about:
- Increasing knowledge and confidence of families, early years educators, schools and family support services to support the transition to school for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children
- Development and sustainable implementation of a transition support plan in each community with whole community ownership and participation
- Building positive relationships and communication between Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander families, communities and schools, to support student engagement
- Improving school attendance and educational attainment outcomes aligned with locally agreed targets
- Increasing knowledge and skills for responding to family and parenting issues
Putting it into practice:
- Community and stakeholder engagement-Identification of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal priority services and government links
- Transition Workshop 1-One day community meeting and One-day Workshop for initial knowledge transfer and facilitation on best practice transition processes
- Mentoring and support-Follow-up support for transition plan development and implementation (monthly teleconferences and email correspondence)
- Transition Workshop 2-One day face to face workshop within 3-6 months to embed changes and review progress on Transition Action Plans
- Data Analysis-Data collection and analysis report at midway point and at end of project
The workshop is designed for:
This workshop is designed for both Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander workers and non-Indigenous workers in the early childhood and primary school sectors.
Please register early by contacting Tanya Wells at Tanya.Wells@snaicc.org.au or 03 9489 8099 to ensure your spot in this workshop.