- 2 Day Training
- Intensive Family Support training
- Cost on enquiry
This 2-day workshop has been developed based on the SNAICC reflective practice resource, Stronger Safer Together. The resource was developed after consultation from key Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders and organisations.
Key topics of discussion will be:
- Working differently with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families
- How does trauma impact on the spiritual/cultural, physiological and psychological self
- Building trusting relationships and partnerships with families
- Including families in case planning and decision-making
- Supervision and support for workers
Putting it into practice…
- Responding to trauma in a culturally appropriate way
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural considerations for effective engagement
- Setting family goals and reviewing progress towards them
- Strategies for effective communication and collaborative work with child protection services
- Effective use of strength and needs assessment tools
- Increase participant knowledge on how experiences of trauma effect brain development, behavioural responses to stress, and general wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Share effective engagement strategies
- Provide an appropriate mix of practical, therapeutic, educational and advocacy supports
- Discuss ways to include families in case planning and decision making
- Recognise the need for self care, the complexities of working and living in your own community and building greater capacity to support your own wellbeing and care.
This workshop is designed primarily for Intensive and Family Support workers and similar caseworker roles who are working intensively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families. The workshop is designed to acknowledge and build on existing strengths that are currently being utilised in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. It is suitable for both Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous workers.